Digital Printing: The Work Process and its Benefits
Digital Printing has been a major game changer for revolutionizing the way individuals and companies are communicating and bringing their idea on paper or other surfaces.
It is vital to consider a particular managed printing service instead of randomly choosing the ones you have been told is better over the rest. For the right decision to be made, it must be a knowledgeable decision. Once you are done going through this blog, you will make impactful and well-informed decisions when choosing digital printing and reap the benefits of Digital Printing. Let us begin with the basics and take one step each from there.
What is Digital Printing?
Unlike traditional offset printing, digital printing is a print production method that uses electronic files from your flash drive, computer, and phone is printed directly onto the chosen material.
Usually, a digital printer is utilised by professional printers for small-scale production and large-format or high-volume laser printers or inkjet printers that can be used as other sources to print.
Using digital printer, you have more flexible options and more creativeness to bring forward and broaden your avenues of communicating with your clients with crisp, clean, and trendy designs.
It has multiple benefits; But one of them is how easily one can print on synthetics, photo paper, paper, canvas, cardstock fabric, to name a few substrates.
Digital Color Printers use electrophotography (laser), Inkjet, or Xerography to develop the images with toners, dry-ink, or dyes.
What is the Process Involved in Digital Printing?
The process involved in printing documents using a digital printer is quite simple:
- Choose the print option and customise the settings as per your requirements, including orientation, two sides, one side, paper type, to name a few.
- The printer driver on your computer understands and translates those settings while sending the file to the printer.
- Once the printer receives the data and instructions given (your preferences), it digitally prints the documents in almost no time.
How does Digital Printing Work?
The digital colour printers utilise Inkjet, or electrophotography (Lasers) to develop the images with toners, dyes or dry-ink.
With Inkjet printers, one can develop definite images with quality photographic colours. The printer places tiny droplets onto the paper and slides it through the printer to create your prints.
While in laser printers, light-sensitive photographic paper is used to produce digital photos processed with photographic developers and fixers.
What are the Different Types of Digital Printing?
There are three types of digital printing that are widely used:
- On-demand or Print-on-demand (POD): Highly suitable for small amounts of prints, POD is quite helpful in time-sensitive printing.
- Variable Data Printing (VDP) or Variable Image Printing: VDP printing is recommended when personalising specific information for an individual in a group with generic information before printing is required.
- Web-Enabled Printing or Web to Print Digital Printing: With the customisable online option, the client or customer can edit, share the edited print materials and send it for printing directly with a click of the button.
Why Digital Printer over other Conventional Printers?
With this digitally forward alternative to traditional printing methods, including letterpress, gravure, lithography and flexography, to name a few, you can discard the conventional mechanical steps of making films, custom colour proofs, manually stripping the pieces to put together, and the making of plates.
Any alterations you need to make on the printable item do not involve a long pre-press alteration process and can be readily printed immediately.
When the number of prints is not large, the cost-effectiveness reduces and becomes expensive for conventional printing. However, small numbers are great to go with digital printing.
What are the benefits of digital printers?
As previously said, understanding when to use a printer improves the cost-effectiveness explicitly, to name one of the direct effects, and here we discuss the advantages of digital printing when used rightly.
- There are no complicated pre-press requirements in digital printing, VDP printing, as it comes with easy customisations, at any point, right before the print and hence requires less turnaround time.
- With digital printing, you get to print from anywhere if your printer has mobile printing capabilities.
- With small amounts of printing products, the wise choice is digital printing as it provides cost-effective printing. It also does not requires print plates, increasing the cost savings further.
- Allows the use of advanced technology and reduces unwanted space, time, energy and during the printing process, be it connecting to the internet and more customisation options.
- It has a line screen of 175, ensuring high-resolution images.
- With the same consistency, fewer dot lines, and no colour overlaps, digital printing leads to high-quality images with no loss, eliminating unmatching graphics designs and print products.
Are you curious to know more about the advantages of digital printing? Our consultants can help you with the same.
Talk to Digital Printing Company, Brisbane, to know more!
Being a top digital printing company in Brisbane, we, Crystal Print Media, understand your requirements and suggest the right managed printing services.